YMTA’s Norm Manly Maritime Education Scholarship
Each year the Norm Manly Maritime Education Scholarships are awarded in the spring to graduating high school seniors in amounts ranging from $5,000 to $1,000. Scholarships may be used by students pursuing maritime training and education in community colleges, technical and vocational programs, colleges, universities, maritime academies or other educational institutions. Awards may be used to support tuition and fees, and are sent directly to the recipient’s school/program.
- Student must currently be enrolled as a senior in a high school or affiliated high school program (including GED program) in the State of Washington;
- Student must plan to pursue post-secondary training or educational program leading to a maritime or marine-related career;
- Student must submit a letter of support from one teacher. An optional letter of support from a member of the maritime community is encouraged but not required;
- Student must have a grade point average of at least 2.5 or an additional letter of recommendation from a second teacher;
- Relatives of the PSM Board of Governors, the YMTA Committee, the executive management team, or the owners of businesses or organizations sponsoring YMTA scholarships are not eligible for these awards.
There are two parts to the YMTA scholarship process. First, students submit their full application to PSM’s YMTA program. The YMTA Committee will review all applications and invite several applicants to participate in the second phase – the educational project. This second phase is an oral report, presented to a panel of judges. All applicants invited to the second phase will be awarded a scholarship; the oral presentations will be scored to determine the amount of your award.
Special Thanks to our scholarship sponsors: